Sunday, January 20, 2013

January 21, 2012 (Hualian)



Ah, man, I feel like I have nothing to write about this week...

The week started off a little slow because I was totally sick on Monday and a teeny bit sick on Tuesday. On Monday night, my companion was such a trooper. I laid down and slept and she made phone calls for about 3 hours. Phone calls are so important, but always a pain to do. So, I'm super grateful she could get a hold of so many people. 

This week we had lunch with one of our members, and she invited her friend. We ended up having a lesson with her friend and she became our new investigator. It's so interesting here, because evvvvveryone, almost everyone, claims Buddhism. Even if they don't actively practice it, or don't know why they do the things they do in their religion, they still do it and tell you they can't meet with you or have no interest because they are Buddhist. I think it's super interesting. When I contact, I always ask what religion they are. They usually say Buddhist and then I ask them if they believe in God. And if they believe in God, I ask what they think their relationship with Him is. Usually they're willing to sort of add on another God to what they believe. Anyway, the friend was really great and we're meeting with her again at the member's house, which is the best teaching situation.

In English class, we talked about the word "dedicate" so for the spiritual part, I asked them to think of something to dedicate and who they would dedicate it to and why. Their answers were precious. One woman said she would dedicate a ship to her dad because he loves the ocean. Another woman said she would dedicate a hot springs to her husband because he loves hot springs and he always thinks of her first, so she thinks he's the best. Another guy said he would dedicate good food to his dad because when his dad was little, he didn't have enough to eat. I talked about how Jesus Christ dedicated his entire life, truly every moment of every day to Heavenly Father and us so we can live with our families and God forever. How hard would that be to be perfect allll the time? But He was super willing, and He did it and I'm so grateful He did.

One of our recent converts brought her mom to church with her, so we've started meeting with her. She's from Indonesia, so sometimes she doesn't fully understand what we are saying. We've started meeting with another recent convert's little sister. She has the cutest little apartment. A little studio apartment, with built-in bookshelves. I loved it so much. 

One Taiwan missionary who used to serve in Hua Lian came back to visit this weekend, so the members had a big potluck dinner at a member's house. Tons of people were crammed in there. The hus lian branch president is super loud, and he always makes jokes about how I'm louder than him. We ended up having a yelling match last night, each of us trying to prove that the other was louder. The members loved it - they were cracking up. 

Sorry this email is  so short and so lame. I love you all. Thanks for all your support. 

Love, Sister Natalie




No comments:

Post a Comment