Sunday, February 3, 2013

November 4, 2013 (Hualian)



Dear family and friends,

You guys are all the BEST. Mom, thanks for the email. I'm getting home on April 27th. Yeah, did you guys hear that?! Ariel, why are you coming out in March and not in April? Kidding. Faj, I love all the mountain, snow, and ice climbing pictures. Utah and Tibet are the coolest. Yes, Wang Jiemei is a member in Hua Lian. It wasn't my old companion, Wang jiemei, right? If it was, then she's in Taidong. Kai, thanks for emailing me - employee of the month, seriously. What a rockstar.

I survived this week getting fed by members, my companion and eating some cheap store bought noodles and brown rice. 

This week was mostly good. Du jiemei got sick (what is up with us?? Faj, I need some immune boost and if you want, you could also send me some burt's bees chapstick, just the normal flavor/kind - the kind you apply with your finger would be good - just one is enough) and so we were in for a day. We had interviews with President on Friday - in Taidong, which is like a 3 hour train ride from us. Interviews were good. President Day called me to repentance for telling him that I was intimidated to be surrounded by the most awesome missionaries ever. He is the nicest man alive and has the gift of discernment like no one I've ever met. Sister Day brought us chocolate chip cookies. Divine. Forgot how delicious chocolate chip cookies are.

The missionaries serving here really are the best. The elders gave us a ton of referrals this week. We also had a lot of success from trying to talk to everyone - always sort of awkward, because you stop your bike by someone walking on the side of the road and sometimes they get a little bit freaked out - and getting a lot of phone numbers from that. 

We have an awesome sort-of new investigator named Zi Yao. She's 14 and really shy and not super expressive, but she seems to really like meeting with us. We shared about the restoration of the gospel with her this week, and taught it by stacking paper cups and removing the bottom ones to show what happens when we don't have apostles and church authority. I'm telling you, I love little analogy things now that I'm on a mission. She also biked in the rain with us (taiwanese HATE the rain) to go to a church activity. She feels like her life has been happier since she's been praying and she likes reading the Book of Mormon. Texted us on Sunday morning to say actually she wasn't coming to church. So, other than that, so far so good. She's cute and awesome and I think warming up more to us. 

One day we stopped and talked to this Filipino woman and yesterday went to visit her. She's a total miracle. I feel like she's super prepared. She loved having us come over, and tried to pay us for coming over. Cha right. She loves Jesus Christ a lot. Before we left, she wanted me to sing with her. So we sang Amazing Grace and Nearer My God To Thee, even though little mosquitos were buzzing around me and I was inwardly freaking out. She doesn't have a book or mormon yet, but she's excited to read it when she has one.

Last night, as we were biking sort of far to a more rural place, Du Jiemei biked over a metal wire and it stuck in her tire. We asked the house owners if we could leave the bikes there and then continued walking to a referral's house. The roads were dark and there were scary dogs, but it was so peaceful and nice to walk for a change, past dark rice paddies and an occasional house. My companion and I chatted the whole way. My companion talked about her love for Korean drama. So cute. The referral wasn't there, but there was a beautiful little private art museum next store that I want to check out on a pday.

One night this week, when we were knocking, the doorbell with the intercom speaker thing was inside of their mailbox. I ended up sticking my head partly in the mailbox and talking to the girl who lived there for a while - asking her if she believes in God and what she thinks her relationship with Him is. I really love moments like that on my mission - talking to people in quirky ways about God- who He is and His incredible love for us.

Love this church, love being a missionary.

I've tried to stalk pretty much all of you on mormon.org, (not as fun as facebook), but pretty much none of you have a profile. Except for you Niels, which I loved. You should make profiles! 

Love you guys!

Love, 
Sister Nad

shout-outs!
Josh and Dee: I still love you guys.
Rob and Crachel: you guys!! miss you guys! how are your twins? Kayla sent me the cutest picture of them and Collin. What are their names??
ANGELA: Are you BAPTIZED?! Wah, your last letter was the BEST. You, teaching about the Holy Ghost better than the elders! Wah, so proud of you! You are the best and I love you so much! 
Ariel: STOP IT with all your pictures. Just kidding, keep sending more and more and more. I am totally framing that black and white photo of you and Steve on Christmas. Ahhh, so beautiful. You guys, YOU GUYS. Love you both so, so, so much. Keep writing!! Did you get my letter?
Kimi: Still love you. Did you get my letter?
Allison: How are you doing? Dying to see some house pictures. And more!
Trev4: I was going through my old planners and I'll write little notes in my planner or on sticky notes of things to tell people on p-day when I email and I found this one in an old planner of these key points to tell you: - good soul - beard - so talented - photography - i might accidentally say words in chinese when I get home. Ha, so cryptic, right?? I have no idea what I wanted to say about the first four. Anyway, looove you.
Tara: Letter coming your way! Written it, it just needs a stamp! I'll get it in the mail today.
Alicia Harris: where are you?
Courtney Petersen. You too.
Celia: did you get my letter? Also, are my clothes at your parents? Should I have someone in my family go pick them up because I don't want your family to have to move them. Can't wait to wear cute clothes again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment