Monday, April 22, 2013

April 15, 2013


Dear Faj, Mom, Kai, Niels, Finn, and Larf.

This week, our investigator Chen jiemei got baptized. I'm really grateful that I've had the privilege of teaching her and getting to know her. She is soft-spoken and dignified. She seeks personal revelation and gets it and really has had a change of heart. When I first met her, she wasn't very faithful (according to her) and seemed like she had a lot of things to work through. I'm not sure if I thought I would see her get baptized. When we first invited her to set a baptismal date, she thought really long and hard about it. But, she has grown and learned so much. And changed so much. It's cool to see the power of God, and the influence the Holy Ghost has on people and how they can literally change. After passing her baptismal interview, she all the sudden started feeling really unpeaceful and uncalm and was really upset. We met with her about every day this week and tried really hard to strengthen her. By the time Saturday came around, she felt calm and ready and excited to get baptized. Her baptismal service was simple and sweet. So, this will be the last baptism I see as a missionary here.

We visited the Ma family on Tuesday night. I was feeling kind of strange in the lesson and like something was up and I needed to figure out what it was. I was trying to cover this other stuff, but at the end I finally asked them how they were feeling about baptism and the oldest son said that his parents told him he needs to wait until he is 18 to get baptized. BUMMER. They want him to focus more on school. That was a big bummer, but they're still doing good. This Sunday, they came to church and watched general conference. Luckily, they watched the session where President Monson talked about the fire in Vivian Canyon and they really liked it. 

This week we had a FHE with our mm leader (love him! so great and so supportive) and his 3 kids and wife and their 3 teenage nephews. We sharaded scripture stories, and I loved being with a bunch of loud, rowdy teenage boys. Made me miss you boys. kai, niels, finn, lars. At the end of the lesson, one of them accidentally exploded a squishy ball thing, so white goop exploded over everything.

This week, I went on exchanges twice. Once in my area with Taidong sisters, and once in Hualian with Sister Huang. I still love Sister Huang. She's one of the funniest people I've ever met in my life. Last night she was getting mad at us for flushing our toilet paper down the toilet (a lot of Taiwanese people don't flush their toilet paper) and we were like, "No way are we not flushing it!" She was getting all worked up and was like, "C'mon!" Oh, man, I'll do impersonations of her when I get home. She's the best. Anyway, we went to visit one of their investigators, Xu jiemei. She's one of my favorites - she's the one who told her husband they should get baptized because she wanted to be with him forever. She's pregnant, so we/they haven't met with her in a long time because she's been feeling sick, but we just stopped by the other day, and she was there and really happy to see us and visit with us. I love these Taiwanese people. I love sitting with them in their homes and chatting with them and then listening to their concerns and what's going on and then sharing gospel to help them. I hope I always use the gospel to solve all problems in my life. Before my mission, I think i relied more heavily on my own wisdom and on others' advice rather than on the gospel and God. The mission has brought some good changes. Anyway, she's been having some trials and has been really sad and we shared in Jacob, how the people came to hear the pleasing word of God, the word which heals and wounded soul. So beautiful.

This week, we also met with a member's little cousin. She is about 12 and super, SUPER shy. When we asked her to say the closing prayer, she started crying. ah! stressful. But, she's really cute and the member says she has a strong desire to learn and have an eternal family. 

Two Hualian families had us over for dinner on Saturday and Sunday nights for little goodbye dinners. It was great to see so many members and get to hang out with them. I'll miss the power and authority I have as a missionary.

Li Qiu Feng, one of my bestie new converts from Zhongli came here to hang out with us. She rented a bike and has been biking and proselyting with us. It's so fun to hang out with her.

Little boys, missions really are the best. You'll love your missions.

I'm trying to care more about what God thinks about me than anyone else. I loved General Conference. I loved Elaine Dalton. She is such a powerful, empowering, ennobling woman. I love that she said, "I shall ever praise Him for the privilege of being a woman." Jesus Christ was the greatest champion of womanhood. The church and God holds women so high and empowers and ennobles them. I'm so grateful to be a part of this great church and have God as my literal Father in Heaven. Wah. We are so blessed and so lucky. 

I love you all dearly. See you NEXT WEEK. Crazy.

Love, Sister Nad.

No comments:

Post a Comment